Capitol Hill Urban CoHousing
We are an inter-generational urban community committed to sustainable living on Seattle’s Capitol Hill. Still in the forming phase, you can read about some of our participating households in our community ranging in age from infant to mid-60s, families and couples. All people and families are welcomed.
Some of the details
- Our property is located at 1720 12th Avenue between Howell & Olive on the east side of the street. We will be removing the exisiting building.
- Located one block east of Cal Anderson Park, a five minute walk from the future light rail station.
- We will be targeting high Built-Green or LEED guidelines for achieving as many high-performance sustainability metrics for energy and water usage as is financially feasible both now and planning for future upgrades.
- Construction is slated to begin sometime in July 2014 with move-in about a year later.
- We are excited to be working with Maria Barrientos' firm, known for unique urban development focused on making places, not just building buildings, many of them on Capitol Hill.
- There will be a working, year-round Urban Farm out-sourced to Seattle Urban Farm Company & interns from Community Colleges.
- There will be no onsite automobile parking.
- A few key decisions have already been made: we are a non-smoking and gun free community, allow pets, plan to have inclusive shared meals a few times a week and we will be child-friendly, providing childcare for workshops, etc.
- Lot size: 4500 sf
- Number of homes: 9
- Home sizes: 850-1,400 sf (2-3 BR)
- We are planning for a long-term rental model starting at market rates and locking into rent control within a few years.
- Rents: will be market rate for new construction on Capitol Hill roughly $2500-$3100 to begin. We will fix rental rates early on.
- Membership: $1500 one time non-refundable fee. $400 annual dues (or $40/month). $30,000 Membership in LLC
If you're new to CoHousing be sure to visit our resource page. To learn more about our community, please browse our site and meet some of our community members, read our vision and values, our plans and about our Capitol Hill neighborhood.
If you are interested in more information about how to get involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please sign up on our mailing list to be notified of the next info session or to setup a one-on-one meeting. After attending an info session you will be invited to a community potluck social to meet the rest of the members. The next Info Session is scheduled for Wednesday, September 24 at 7 PM. Please email email@example.com for the location.